Sunday, 30 August 2026

Numbers 56-58- a mini-Lemire Marathon

 

Three of his graphic novels at least, continuing two of his series that I'm catching up on.

Bloodshot Reborn continues where volume 1 left off.  There's a twist though. Someone else is collecting the nanites and it's a race against time and the new killer to prevent more bloodshed.

British people of a certain age may recall a character called MACH 1- Man Activated by Compupuncture Hyperpower (IIRC) in Eagle comics.  That was a definite precursor to this concept. 

There is nothing particularly original in this story but lemire's writing and the amazing artwork by Butch Guice elevate the material so it feels like something fresh and new.  I will be ordering volume 3 ASAP.


 

Next up was volumes 2 and 3 of Lemire's own personal spin on the traditional superhero franchise. 

I love how he's simultaneously satirising the genre whilst giving us a deeper insight into the lives of these characters after they start to age out of their roles.

I genuinely give a damn about these people. We still have no idea what the village is where our heroes are trapped or why they're there, or how they can possibly escape. we finally discover the fate of the title character in the most gruesome frames of the series so far.

There are some other shocking turns of events and a totally unpredictable betrayal.

I'm loving every word and picture.  

Despite the title, this is indeed Black Hammer Volume 3. This gives us a flashback over 5 issues which help to extend and flesh out the worlds of Spiral City and the heroes who are currently AWOL by focusing on their villainous counterparts.

David Rubin's artwork is excellent throughout. Again, I will be ordering the next volumes ASAP.

Highly recommended for people who like their fiction with a slightly more than surreal side of craziness.

No comments:

Post a Comment