Tuesday, 25 August 2026

Number 51- The Block- Gerald Suster

 

After two incredibly overwritten and pretty tedious books in a row, I needed a bit of trash so I dug this off the shelves and dusted it down.

When I check google I find the only copy for sale on the interwebzes that I can find is going for £200 on eBay, so this is one of the less useful reviews since it appears to have the same general levels of availability as rocking horse poop.

That cover would look a lot nicer if the previous owner hadn't used it as a coaster and left coffee rings on it.

Anyhoo, the book...

It's a shame that it's so rare because I had an absolute riot with this one. 

A couple move into an apartment block with all the necessities including its own bar and supermarket. It also has an evil history and is built on the site of medieval ritual sacrifices. As these places tend to be. 

When a pair of psychics perform a ritual in one of the ground floor flats, they unleash an evil that they fail to banish, and steadily the violence starts. 

Unlike Rattlers with its great build up and anticlimactic ending, once this gets going, it never stops until the last sentence of the book. We have a whole cast of potential victims and some of the best Shreddies I've seen for a long while. There's a whole dramatis personae at the start of the book which isn't really necessary as the cast list reduces significantly as the story roars on.

It builds to a 70 something page battle for survival for the last few people who still class as human. It's all brilliantly contrived chaos. The writing is sometimes a touch overblown but it suited the OTT nature of the violence and bloodshed.

This restored my faith in the naff 80s horror novels. Would I pay £200 for it?  Not a chance. But if you have a copy lying around, definitely read it.  You won't regret it.

No comments:

Post a Comment