Two very quick cheat reads next in the form of the middle section and conclusion of this short series by Lemire.
Volume 1 introduced a family where each member was haunted by a variation of the ghost of their brother/child who died aged 14.
Volume 2 - Sonic Youth is the flashback story telling the last 5 days of the poor lad's life.
Volume 3- We All Float On- picks up again where volume 1 left off and concludes the story.
Volume 2 does a great job of explaining why his ghost appears in the forms he does for the different family members. Without seeming contrived or convoluted, we see the start of every plot strand that made Volume 1 as good as it was.
Volume 3 had a lot to live up to. Could Lemire possibly give this story the ending it deserves? In my humble opinion it definitely does. This is emotionally layered and complex storytelling and the ending left me wiping away a tear or two.
I'm still not a great fan of Lemire's artwork, it always seems quite ugly and abrasive to me. However the storytelling is so good, I can forgive it all. The artwork isn't pretty, but neither are the stories he's telling.
This is probably the most grounded and relatable series I've read so far by Lemire, and it's vying for that top spot. I loved it. If you can find it, you really should give it a chance.


No comments:
Post a Comment