No prizes for guessing why I chose this one.
I was a little bit worried because I wasn't entirely enamoured of the last (only other) JCO book I read. But this sounded interesting, and fit the theme.
In small town uppstate New York, the beautiful Marguerite (aka M), Sculptor and older sister to our narrator Gorgene (aka G or Gigi), has vanished. Last seen as a reflection across a pair of mirrors, she seems to have waked out of the house and disappeared.
Each of the 48 chapters is a further piece of the puzzle of what happened to her.
There are unreliable narrators and there's Gigi. Her fractious relationship with her sister is revealed in glimpses and we are left to pick up the pieces of the truth from gaps and other people's reactions.
The first several chapters are very strange in their formatting and style. They're also very short. About half way through, the chapters start getting longer and we gain more clarity into the other characters on the sidelines of the story.
I zoomed through this book in two days. Despite the oddness, this is a compelling read. G is an entertaining narrator who doesn't give up her secrets too easily. It's a very literary but still an incredibly easy read.
I would highly recommend this to anyone who likes their psychological thrillers with more than a touch of weirdness and literary prowess.

No comments:
Post a Comment