And another entry into the world of Black Hammer.
This is almost a standalone with no obvious tie in barring a couple of one panel cameos by characters from the larger series.
This may well be the saddest (in a good way) superhero graphic novel I've ever read. Doctor Andromeda Is a golden age hero protecting Spiral City. When he answers a distress call from deep space, he sets off a chain of events that will destroy his home life in ways that he cannot repair, regardless of how powerful he might be.
Lemire is on top form here and I definitely had something in my eye in the closing pages. I wasn't welling up a bit honest.
Max Fiumara's art is top notch. It perfectly matches the storytelling, and features some of the best double page spreads I've seen in a long while.
The next few Black Hammer volumes are a priority when I am financially solvent again.

No comments:
Post a Comment