This was a book group choice and a brand new author for me so I had no clue past the cover blurb what to expect. The cover burb had potential but sounded like the book could go either way.
Denny Voss is a developmentally challenged man who keeps getting into weird scrapes. He's been in trouble with the police twice before- for kidnapping Tom Hanks (a goose), and for accidentally helping in a bank robbery. However this time he's suspected of murder, and it's not going to go away quickly like the last two did. His life has slipped too far sideways and only the whole truth about his life can help him.
I fell in love with Denny and his idiosyncratic voice in the first few pages. He's such a brilliantly written character and a perfect narrator.
This book is hysterically funny, and most of the humour comes from us seeing Denny through the other person's point of view, despite it being Denny telling the story. That takes talent to pull off and Holly Kennedy manages it with apparent ease.
The supporting cast are all beautifully drawn through the filter of Denny's unique viewpoint. I'm not sure that eidetic memories like Denny's normally come attached to an IQ of 72, but I rolled with it rather than question it. The book is too much fun to quibble over points like that.
The solution of the mystery was quite obvious, for the who, but the why was gradually revealed across the book and was perfectly satisfying. If you start overthinking, there are a couple of very minor plot holes if you consider the forensics of the situation. So don't overthink it, and you should love this novel.
A light easy read, damned funny, and pretty heartbreaking in places. I unreservedly recommend it. A solid 9/10

No comments:
Post a Comment