The fifth book to feature Holly Gibney, who first appeared on the sidelines in Mr Mercedes. this one pissed off a lot of people when it came out. For some reason, they didn't think a book with a hypochondriac main character, set in the middle of the pandemic should mention COVID. Idiots.
Regular readers of this blog will know I'm a big fan of Mr King and this was a novel I was highly anticipating.
In the middle of the Covid years, Holly, trying to get over the recent death (by Covid) of her mother, takes on a case looking for a missing girl. While looking for the girl, she finds out about a number of other disappearances in the area over the past few years. She's unwittingly stumbled into the middle of a serial killer case.
The killers are an elderly pair of professors from the local university who rank amongst the vilest characters (in a good way) that King has so far created. I won't say why they're taking people off the streets, that's something you need to discover for yourself.
As usual with King, this starts fairly slowly but builds tension brilliantly. I had to read the last 150 pages in one sitting. I was NOT going to put that book down.
This is also notable for King using a selection of Shreddies to great effect. He doesn't often do that.
I had a great time with this. I suspect King knew how much it would annoy certain tracts of people and had fun with that too. Highly recommended. If you disagree with his politics, you'll hate it though.

No comments:
Post a Comment