Friday 15 April 2022

Numbers 24 & 25 - Soldier from the wars returning - David Campton - At Midnight I steal Your Soul - John Probert

 

I don't want to waste an entire entry on the David Campton book.

In this one, a barman and barmaid reduce a returning soldier to a quivering ruin of who he was. 

Despite the fact that he's one of my favourite playwrights, this just didn't work for me. It's very short - only 16 pages.  It's described as a grotesque comedy, which I thought was a great sign. His comedies of menace like Little Brother Little Sister are amazingly good.  

I didn't get this one though.  I just couldn't tune into it at all which is unusual for me with Campton. I actually read it twice and still didn't get it. Normally with his plays, i can see it happening as i read it, hear the characters talking.  Not this time, and I don't know why.

A rare misstep.

Next up was another cheat read. John Probert's gloriously titled "At Midnight I steal your Soul". It actually says on the front cover a quick read - so it was ideal.  I read it at lunchtime today. Its a short story in large print and double spaced to make it dyslexic friendly.

A young woman attends a choir rehearsal at an unusual location - a local mental hospital. However, something is stalking the corridors that's more frightening and more vicious than any human.

It's a good fun read. It's atmospheric, weird and, occasionally laugh out loud funny.  I loved the cameo appearance of two of Mr Probert's fellow horror writers on the British scene, the two Gary's, Fry and McMahon, both of whom sounded very like the real thing.

If you're looking for a quick easy read with a gleeful nastiness behind it, this will suit you admirably.

No comments:

Post a Comment