Tuesday 5 April 2022

Number 21 - The Dragon's Child - Janeen Webb

 

A nice little cheat read. Janeen Webb was a complete unknown quantity to me before reading this book that I received as part of a mystery bundle from PS2 Publishing.

It was a very pleasant surprise indeed.

The plot involves shapeshifting dragons who disguise themselves as human and run significant portions of the world economy. After accidentally eating a baby (these things happen), a particularly powerful dragon switches one of her eggs for the deceased infant.

The child learns human feelings, something no dragon has done before.  This can only mean trouble.

Janeen Webb keeps everything in a morally grey area and I was never quite sure which side I should be cheering on. I don't think that's a bad thing though. 

The writing is beautifully done.  I breezed through this in a couple of hours. The characters are sketched as well as they can be in a narrative this short. The world-building is amazing considering the fact it's less than 100 pages.

If I was to make any criticism it would be that this feels like the opening section of a much longer work and not a one off. I was left wanting more, but mainly because it felt like she was abandoning us in mid-story. The fact that I want to know what happens next tells you that I really enjoyed it. I will be looking out for future installments.

No comments:

Post a Comment