Tuesday 8 December 2020

Number 92 - London's Overthrow - China Mieville

 

I'm not sure what, if anything to say about this book.

China Mieville is a very good writer of a weird science fiction almost steampunk sensibility.  His first book - King Rat - was so well written, that while I was reading it, he managed to convince me there was merit in drum and bass (pone of my least favourite genres of music but damn the way he wrote about it made itr sound good) 

His New Crobuzon novels are amazingly good.Embassytown was a drag for the first half but then picked up the ball and ran with it for a brilliant second half. 

This is a different beast altogether.  It's a political polemic  -and I must say I'm very firmly on the side of his politics. He knows his stuff and expresses it a lot better than I could so I'm not sure I'm qualified to dissect this book.

He paints a grim and depressing look at London in 2011, one year into Con-dem rule.

This is a warning from history.  A lot of what he predicts in this long essay has come to pass.  It's a well argued and anger inducing read. My only real criticism of this would be the grainy quality of a lot of the photos.  I kind of get what they were aiming at, but quite a few of them just come across as bad photos rather than the intended effect.

I found it online for a price befitting the slimness of the volume.  

No comments:

Post a Comment