Saturday 11 December 2021

Number 100 - In the wars - Dr Waheed Arian

 

Number 100 for the year! This was my book group read and the second autobiography in a row. I did a bit more research and Chump Change is almost certainly a fictionalised autobiography.

However, whereas Chump Change was a warts and all decent to his lowest point with a glimmer of hope at the end, this one takes almost the opposite path.  This one starts with his horrendous childhood and takes us through his pathway out of poverty and danger and to his current status as head of a prestigious charity and a doctor in the NHS.

The opening sections of the book were certainly the most interesting. His childhood in Afghanistan with breaks as a refugee in Pakistan before moving to the UK was filled with drama and incidents. He (or his ghostwriter) paints a vivid picture of the precariousness of existence in Kabul. 

Once he reaches Britain, his fortunes changed very much for the better.  He manages to enroll in a college while holding down two jobs  to get his A-levels before he is accepted into Cambridge University for his medical degree.

His work ethic puts most of the rest of the world to shame. He comes over as a truly remarkable man in every way.

This is where the cynic in me wonders what has been left out of the story. This is the only autobiography I've ever read where the author doesn't reveal even a single wart. The book reads in the end like an advert for his charity (which from the last two chapters, that's exactly why he wrote it) so I can understand that he doesn't want to show himself in a bad light at any point.  This book isn't warts and all. it's a plea to donate to his -very worthy indeed- charity. 

All in all it's a very interesting book, engagingly told. It shines a light on life experiences in war zones, the lengths people have to go to to escape, and the confusion and problems encountered trying to set up a new life in a totally different culture. 

If it was fiction I'd be complaining that the protagonist is too perfect. Was it really nothing more than youthful naivety when he didn't realise the "travel agency" that sent him to the UK wasn't completely on the level - despite fake passports etc?  Please let us see that you have some human failings other than mildly amusing cultural and lingual misunderstandings at university. 

It feels awkward admitting that I kind of feel that way about this even though it's non-fiction. However, I expect unfettered honesty from the author of one of these books, so I should be honest in my review. I am cynical by nature and struggle to believe that people can be this flawless. I want to see the whole person when I read an autobiography, not just the good bits.  Although maybe he's just a better person than me and deep inside I'm jealous. 

The work he's done is amazing. he's achieved more than I ever will in my life. He passed on a guaranteed consultancy post to concentrate on the charity work. Even if he hasn't shown us any warts, he's still a remarkable man doing great work. His charity deserves all our support, it's doing great work and actually improving things on the ground in places like Afghanistan. If you can support his charity Arian Telemedicine, do so.  They need every bit of help they can get. 


No comments:

Post a Comment