Thursday 30 December 2021

Number 105 - I Saw Zombies Eating Santa Claus - SG Browne

 

My Christmas read this year is this rather good follow up to Breathers.

Breathers is a horror comedy novel about a newly revived dead man working through the issues with his zombification.  It's that rare breed of horror comedy that deserves both words in the genre description.  It's unpleasant enough and disturbing enough to qualify for horror and funny enough to work as a comedy.

Happily, this sequel continues the trend.

It opens with Andy waking up on a pile of dead zombies with a bullet hole in his skull and wearing a Santa outfit. 

We then jump back a few days (it says three but I'm not sure the timescale is entirely accurate - however I don't care) to his captivity in an experimental lab and work forward to find out how he ended up with the perforated head-bone.

Andy is a congenial narrator.  The humour never feels forced and the running gag of "If you haven't experienced x,y,z you wouldn't understand" is particularly funny.

As with the first book, the comedy and gore are interspersed with more tender and erm, human,,, moments.

My biggest complaint with this book is that every time I look at that cover, I get an earworm of THAT song but with the lyrics changed.  I hate the song this title riffs from. I don't want it in my head even with funnier lyrics.

It's a fast, easy read, laugh out loud funny in places, gruesome in others.  Perfect Christmas reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment