Saturday 2 March 2019

Number 9 The Deep Woods - Tim Pratt

My latest cheat read - a fun little YA novella that I picked up cheap on the PS website.  As usual from PS it's a good looking book. This one's even signed and limited to 100 copies which is always nice.

The story is nothing really original to be honest.  A boy obsessed with a fanatasy roleplaying game called Wild Hunt Online accidentally wanders into a "real life" fairyland when he runs into a boy called Silas whe's been trapped there for a century.There's a nice reveal about the nature of the land he's trapped in and the characters are well drawn and sympathetic. I wasn't 100% sold on the very end of the book - possibly a touch too sentimental - but this is a YA book and I'm not really the target audience I suppose.

After the convoluted language of Uncle Tom's Cabin, it was good to read something written in modern day English without all the moralising. This is a quick and easy read that kept me entertained for the 123 pages.  Reccommended as a timefiller for adults, younger readers will probably love it a lot more than I did. 

6.5 maybe 7/10 for me. 

Available through PS Publishing.

No comments:

Post a Comment