Tuesday 19 March 2019

Number 13 D - I can Taste the Blood - Vision IV - Erik T Johnson

What the fuck?

Ummm...

What the fuck in the name of all fucks did I just read?

This is the weirdest story so far in the book. - as you may have figured out from the start of this entry.

Seriously though - what the hell is going on?

I could leave this entry at that but I won't.  Apart from being almost entirely confuzzling, this is actually another pretty good story.  There were times when I wondered if I should be consulting a thesaurus or dictionary as I read this due to an overwheming multidude of unnecessarily polysyllabic phraseological evocations.

But in the midst of all that, there are some very striking nightmarish images.  The scene that begins with the bird hitting the window is one that will stick with me for a long time. As is Caged-head...

The plot centres around a character named Canny, whose mother has kept him segregated from society his entire existance. He's never seen his mother's face - for reasons we find out later on in the story (I think). After her death he goes on a quest for self discovery where he discovers... things...

Ummmm...

Yes.

Death, rebirth, dog based insects, or are they insect based dogs, aliens, unusual first births.  All this and more can be found in these 50 pages.

Surreal is the best description for this story. This is not a story for those who like easy explanations. I have a feeling that I will wake at 4 in the morning tonight, and in my tired fugue state whilst trying to drop off to sleep, the key to this story will appear, and it will all make perfect sense.  However, when my alarm wakes me again for work a few hours later, I'll have lost it again.

Just in case it isn't clear, I did enjoy this story very much. The imagery was stark and in some places brutal, in others quite stunning.  It's left me feeling more than a little uneasy - which after all is the whole point of a horror story.

No comments:

Post a Comment