Saturday 4 February 2023

Number 5 - The Years - Annie Ernaux

 

After three GBP books back to back, I needed to read something lowbrow. However my bookgroup[ choice was this. I'm not sure if it was this book that won the Nobel prize, or whether she just won it in general. But it certainly doesn't make for the lowbrow I needed.

This is Annie Ernaux's memoir of her life in France from birth in 1041 do the date of publication in  2006. Alongside her own life she also gives impressions and descriptions of France itself, it's politics and sociological movements.

All in all it could be fascinating, and many people think it is. two members of the book group agree with the quote on the back saying it's the greatest book they've ever read.

Personally, the subject matter didn't strike me intellectually, neither did the style of writing. It's written in a very removed manner. So far removed that there's zero emotional impact to the writing.  Combine that with my lack of intellectual engagement with this book and I found it all just a bit dull. At times it just seems to devolve into list after endless list of things, none of which I found intriguing or engaging.

There are a few books I've reviewed on this blog where I say how much I loved a book, but I could see how and why other people would hate it.  In this case, it's the other way around.  I will never pick up another book that she's written. I was so glad when I finished this.  it was one of those books where, when you put it down, you can't pick it up again. But i understand why other people rate it as highly as they do.

I can appreciate the skill in the writing, the occasional nice turn of phrase, and I understand the point of the book and where she was aiming with the way she wrote it. It just didn't resonate with me. A literary equivalent of "it's not you, it's me".

So, too sum up, skillfully written, but dull (IMHO - many people disagree).

No comments:

Post a Comment