Saturday 22 February 2020

Number 9 - Ghastle and Yule - Josh Malerman

Yes, the picture shows Bird Box.  This is now the fourth copy of that book that I own - the original hardback I read, the special edition from Dark Regions Press, the regular netflix tie in edition (with Sandra Bullock on the front) that I was sent from Amazon instead of this one, and this one.

This one is the pre-netflix UK paperback.  It's special because it has a complete novella tagged in after the novel.  It's not announced on the back cover, or even in the contents list (because there is no contents list). It's just there at the back of the book.

If you want to read Ghastle and Yule in treebook format, this is the only place to find it,  and you have to find the copy without the netflix logo on it. I did find a copy with this picture on, but the netflix logo added, and the extra story was missing. Eventually, I found one from a private seller on E-bay and asked specifically if it was the right one before placing my remarkably cheap bid.

The story is easily available for your kindle, but I don't own an e-reader and I'm not particularly interested in buying one either.  Tree-books all the way for me.

After all that effort to find this, was it worth it?

Silly question - this is Josh Malerman and I'm yet to find a story of his that I dislike. This one is no exception.

It's the story of two competing horror film directors in the late 50s/early 60s and told from the POV of a cinematographer who works with both of them. They each accuse the other of stealing their ideas/films and things steadily get worse between them until... no spoilers.

It's a really intriguing story which I will definitely be rereading at some point.  There's very little explanation given as to how the idea theft - the accusations go well beyong mere plagiarism - is happening. There are hints but nothing definitive. We get a great portrait of two polar opposites at loggerheads as they, in their own ways, jointly create an entire new subgenre of horror films.

It's told in Malerman's usual crisp prose style and is a fantastic tale of paranoia and professional jealousy, and maybe something much more disturbing.

I really want to watch all of the films described in the book.  They really do sound remarkably good. Malerman's prose is uncluttered but strangely evocative and he brings these films to life in the story. 

This book is well worth getting hold of. It's easiest to find in kindle format, but if you're like me, and fancy a bit of a hunt, get this edition.  You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment