Friday 29 December 2023

Number 84- Twas The Nightshift before Christmas- Adam Kay

 

Appropriately enough, I read this on Christmas Eve.

Early this year I read his book This Is Going To Hurt- extracts from his diaries from his days as a junior doctor. It's easily one of the two funniest books I've read this year.

The second of the funniest books I've read this year is this one. It's more extracts from his doctor diaries, but this time purely the shifts he did over the Christmas seasons in the 7 years he was a doctor. 

It's very short, hence being able to read it in one day without any issues. It's very funny and wince inducing.

There's a particularly painful image raised when he retells the story of a man who covered himself head to toe in gaffer tape (for sexual purposes apparently), and the negative impact of trying to remove it... If you've read this book and you're a man, you've probably just winced at the memory of it. I know I'm cringing as I write this.

The book has the same mix of funny and heartfelt, with serious messages about the state of the NHS and how badly the staff are treated.

Just like the previous volume, it's a must read. 

No comments:

Post a Comment