Monday 31 July 2023

Number 47 - The Night Eaters- She Eats the Night - Liu and Takeda


 While I'm waiting for the next volume of Monstress to be released, I thought this would be a good stopgap. 

By the same creative team, this is part one of a new trilogy.

Milly and Billy are American/Japanese twins. Their mother is harsh and unforgiving of any laxness on their part and their father is much more relaxed. Milly dropped out of med school and has been a disappointment to her mother ever since. Billy spends most of his time trying to be an online influencer when not running the bakery he opened with his sister. 

However, their mother has a task for them.  They have to clean up the abandoned house opposite their parents' home, which was the scene of gruesome murders in the not too distant past.

While trying to please their mother for once, they discover secrets about themselves and their family, as well as learning that reality is not what they thought.

This is a good start to a horror franchise with some great artwork and characters I really want to know more about.
The book is packed with gore and some real surprises.
 
The art isn't as amazing as the Monstress series for me. For the most part it's gorgeous, but there's a tendency for frightened faces to be drawn like something out of a Pokemon cartoon (especially Billy). However the story is good enough that I can forgive the occasional panel that makes me wince (I've never liked the art in Pokemon).

Now of course, I'm waiting on the next volume in two series by this rather excellent creative team. There are worse things that could afflict me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment