Saturday 15 October 2022

Number 58 - Shock Value - assorted writers

 

I bought this at Grimmfest from the publisher's stall. I thought it looked like it would be a fun little cheat read.

I was half right.

It was a cheat read and over in slightly under an hour.

Fun barely featured.

This is an anthology of horrors in comic form.  When I glanced through it at the stall, I thought the art looked quite good. That's true for two of the 6 stories involved. The other's the art is almost as good as the stories they're telling.

Sadly, the stories contained in this collection range from piss poor to just OK.  

The story about the vampires contracting a disease is interesting but isn't actually a story, more a jumping off point for something bigger and better.  It was an interesting concept (and better art than some of the others) but it is just an idea rather than a story with beginning, middle and end. This is still the best part of the publication.

The invisible man story was just about passable.

The three-part story with the mermen is just atrocious. The writing is poor and the artwork even worse. I hope I never have to read anything else that bad again.

I know that a 6-page comic strip is not a lot of time to tell a satisfying story, but it can be done. With only the two exceptions above, all the stories in this book fail spectacularly, either let down by script or artwork or both. 

This was a bad choice of cheat read. I can see what it was aiming at - but it missed on nearly all counts. I could have bought a few more drinks with the money I spent on this.  I'm annoyed about that... 


No comments:

Post a Comment