Sunday 13 March 2022

Number 16 - Something is Killing the Children - Vol 3

 

After the cliffhanger ending to volume 2, this was very high on my shopping list, unfortunately, the amazon seller was slow in sending it to me or I would have read this at least 3 books back.

Erica Slaughter has grown from just a random badass in town to kill a monster or two, into a more rounded character with a hidden (for now) past and a hate/hate relationship with the secret order of monster slayers she works for.

There are definite similarities to the Buffy/Watchers guild relationship although this is a lot more violent.

This volume is the last in the first story arc of the series, and the ending is suitably dark and gruesome. It could be argued that it's not 100% unpredictable but it plays its cards well enough that the familiar tropes feel fresh.

The storytelling is top notch. The characters are drawn as well as they need to be to and can be in the fast pacing of this series. sadly the artwork isn't always up to scratch.

I've got the hang of spotting which pages need to be read across the double page, and which are read normally (left page then right page) so there were no issues with that this time around.

I have volume 4 sitting waiting for my perusal in the very near future. That is the start of a new story arc and I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment