Saturday 4 July 2020

Numbers 43&44 - The Walking Dead vols 9 and 10



I just realised, when I put the picture of volume 10 on my facebook album and it lined up with volume 9, the pictures along the bottom of the front cver lines up perfectly with previous volume. This has been going on since the first volume and I hadn't noticed.

These really are a type of genius in design.

The story continues to improve as well.  In the TV show, one of my favourite episodes was just after the prison fell, and there was a two-hander with just Rick and Carl, Rick desperately ill and helpless, leaving Carl properly on his own for the first time.  It was an acting masterclass from Chandler Riggs, and still his best contribution to the show.

I was so happy to find that that was taken directly from a single issue of the comic. Not only that, but the writing in that editition is genuinely touching.  Carl is becoming a very strong charater in his own right and not just a bratty kid. The Rick/Carl relationship is now front and centre of these volumes.  How do you saty a parent in a world like this?

These two collections are my favourites to date.  I genuinely do think this is just getting better as it goes on.  I'm starting to prefer this version to the TV.  In these two volumes, I've been genuinely moved, upset and shocked by various happenings.  I also felt real fear for the cast when the herd appeared.

Abraham, Eugene and Rosalita make their first appearances in Vol 9.  There's some alpha posturing between Rick and Abraham which leads to a truly emotional revelation in vol 10 when they go on a road trip to Rick's old hometown. 

The parallels in the storylines between this and the TV version are almost as fascinating as the story itself.  The actors they hired for Eugene and Abraham are the most perfect of the characters so far. They even look closest to the original versions. 

The artwork is subtly improving all the time as well.  Loving these books.



No comments:

Post a Comment