Thursday 26 March 2020

Number 18 - the Walking dead vol 1 days Gone Bye - Robert Kirkman/Tony Moore

The Walking Dead is one of my all time favourite TV shows.  However, I've never got round to reading the original source material. 

I figured it may well be an instruction manual for times to come and picked up a copy of book one when I found it at a local comics fair about three weeks ago.

The artwork is fairly crude to be honest.  But the characters are well delineated.  And the differences between the books and the TV series are really quite fascinating.

There's no sign of Daryl or Merle yet, despite their promonence in season one - which this seems to be the first half of.

There are some plot holes which become horribly obvious in this. 

Rick wakes from a coma in a hospital ward, apparently he's been there a few weeks without medical attention.  He can walk, he can fight off the walking dead, he has no muscle wastaghe or pressure sores from 4 weeks in the same position on the bed. He's not been fed in three weeks, I'm guessing his drip that was keeping him hydrated hasn't been changed in a while.  How is he even still alive?

He can't get petrol from a petrol station, the tv series is 6 years into the apocalypse, yet they all still manage to drive everywhere.... where do they get their petrol?

However, I love the pun in the subtitle - Days gone Bye.  A good punny title will convince me to overlook many many plot holes.

Also, it manages to generate some genuine tension. The differences between the tv and this mean that I'm still likely to be surprised on a semi-regular basis. I've already ordered parts two, three and four from Amazon.  Expect several more of these this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment